Pages

  • Home

28.6.13

The Search for the Ultimate DSLR

Now that I'm getting into this blogging thing, I've decided it's time to loosen the death grip I have on my Hello Kitty purse when it comes to buying things that cost about the same amount as I would spend if I was to buy ten pairs of Nikes, and splurge on a Digital Single-Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera.

I have wanted one for ages, but I want a lot of things. So it's kind of been on the back burner. Especially considering I've been splurging on my "university wardrobe" for the past few months as I'm determined to look more a like a stable, level-headed woman (I hear your sniggers from here), and less like an angry hermit come September. I've been managing my Nikon Coolpix L26 for the past year now but I think it's almost time to put it away and save it for rainy days (literally; ain't nobody taking their SLR out in the rain, man) or holidays, and get myself a professional one.

However, even with my planning prowess, I never quite got around to "figuring out" DSLRs; I just knew I had to have one. So I'm a bit stumped now. I do know I want a Canon or Nikon (not saying Sony or Panasonic or any of the others are crap or anything but as a clueless novice, I should really go with brands everyone I know seems to trust more) and that it has to be relatively cheap. This means only buying one during the summer or the winter sale seasons for those "big savings" that always make me oh-so-happy.

So after careful scrutiny (haha, suuure), I've narrowed it down to these three:
Nikon D3200
Canon EOS 600D
Canon EOS 650D

I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about and go into too much detail, because all I'll end up doing is copying and pasting (cue the Diggy Simmons song) from their website. I'm only gonna talk about the things I'm considering as a complete and utter amateur.

Let's get to comparing...

Nikon D3200

The Nikon package I'm considering at Currys comes with a camera bag, two lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm) and a 16GB SD card, which I think is pretty great for its current price (£489). This camera's got the most megapixels (24.2) and can take HD videos, although according to Versus IO it requires an external stereo microphone (boo). Howeveeer, it's got Wi-Fi! No touch screen though [mildly disappointed face].

Final verdict: Thumbs Up!

Canon EOS 600D

The Canon 600D package I'm looking at on Jessops comes with a 16GB SD card, a Tecno camera bag (which matches the one for my Nikon L26 - and who doesn't love matching sets?), a UV filter and a screen protector (which is brilliant because I am such a clutz; I drop everything, it's unbelievable). It's got 18 megapixels though which unfortunately is not much of a step up from my Nikon L26 (16.1). And it requires an external stereo microphone as well. Buuut...it's Canon - and that's got to count for something. Plus, it seems everyone's got or at least owned this one at one point, doesn't it? It's priced at £484.98 which is a bit bleurgh compared to the D3200 which comes with two lenses. But again, Canon.

Final verdict: A less-excited thumbs up.

Canon EOS 650D

Now this baby, I can't seem to find anywhere so I have no pretty package deal to consider [sad face]. It's only got 18 megapixels as well and no Wi-Fi, BUT it's got a flip-out touch screen and who doesn't love a bit of touch-screen interaction? And according to Versus IO and the Canon website, its innards (heehee) are pretty darn impressive compared to the other two. And it's the inside that really counts, right?

Final verdict: A super-sized thumbs up...pending availability.


So there we have it. We have... not really accomplished anything smh. The ultimate dream would be to get the Canon EOS 7D tbh. But with that price tag, they're gonna have to kill me first and use my body to make a sacrifice to the gods in exchange for a money tree. Anyway, now the plan is to wait for the January sale and see if the 650D resurfaces and if prices go down even more!

Fingers crossed.




Photo Sources: Canon.co.uk, Currys.co.uk
Share:

2 comments

  1. You are not serious lol. But I do have my fingers crossed for you! Winter sale here we come :D

    Mo x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig