Pages

  • Home

28.9.13

New Music: Yung6ix's '#OneTweet'

[Source]
So it's Yung6ix again.

Not just one of the top trending topics in Lagos this week, #OneTweet is Yung's latest hit. It's basically all about this one tweet he twat (tweeted?) on Twitter back in August (now say that three times fast).

I was not particularly amused by this tweet (see the image above if you haven't clocked it already). If you're good at something, I see no point in bragging about it in such a pretentious manner. For instance, imagine me tweeting that I'm the most awesome person in the world. We all already know this; so mentioning it would be mean to everyone else, especially to those who thought that they were awesome enough for me to respect them and not brag about my superior level of epicness on Twitter.

Yagetme?

I am not the only person who was a little put off by this tweet. Many other Nigerian artistes expressed distaste with Yung6ix's arrogance, including Fresh L from DRB Las Gidi who posted the above picture on his Instagram, which was actually how I learnt about it.

Notwithstanding, it's a pretty good song. It does sound a bit like Wizkid's Talk but still, y'know, it's good. BallerTosh did a pretty amazing job on the production! This guy is really coming up in the world. I am even tempted to follow him on Twitter amidst my massive unfollow spree. I used to follow over 700 people, most of whom were celebrities but I've whittled it down to about 200. It was much lower during the summer but I've recently "joined" #TeamFollowBack temporarily (after a quick bio-and-recent-tweets assessment, of course; my Twitter feed's gotta have standards) so the numbers have climbed up a bit.

Anyway, Yung6ix pulled out a few more punchlines from his bag of tracks on this song and with the desired effect: more publicity and growth in his fan base. He's been bombarding my feed with retweets from all his fans using the titular hashtag, which is nice. No one likes a celebrity who doesn't acknowledge their fans. But all in all, the whole thing kinda reminds me of Kendrick Lamar's stint on Big Sean's Control. I don't get why rappers feel the need to put down their peers and "claim the throne" or whatever. How does that help you achieve anything? Plus, it's been done. Get new material fast, or take a break and work on your craft. Pride can only take you so far.

Aside from that, it's still a good song (lol did I mention it's a "good song") and has earned itself a spot on my iPod.

Have a listen to the track below or click here to view it on YouTube. Hope you guys are having an awesome weekend! Thanks for reading xx




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig