Pages

  • Home

12.9.13

New Video: Yung6ix's 'First Class' Featuring Percy

[Source] Percy and Yung6ix from KKTB Music (L-R)

Right, so I only just watched the video to Yung6ix's critically-acclaimed freestyle First Class, like, a few minutes ago (I really am falling behind, I know) and I thought I just had to share it with you guys.

Possibly the most successful rapper from the South (of Nigeria), I've been intrigued by the young man since his Oleku remix and officially joined Team '6ix when he hit us with that Follow Me track  with Wizkid back in '11 and I am seriously on the edge of my seat, waiting for his album 6ix O'Clock, which according to him won't be for another few months. The Blank Cheque Gang (KKTBM) rap star's punchlines border on legendary, and First Class sees him in his best form yet with his lyrical wordplay and witty metaphors that make you wonder if he actually was freestyling. But I know for a fact that he was because I managed to get my hands in the original audio version earlier this year.

I can't say I'm not partial to Yung6ix. My dad's Yoruba (which is not a religion, it is a tribe and we do not support suicide; it is tragic what happened to the late Lee Thompson Young but if I hear another person say it was because he was "practising Yoruba," I will implode) so I'm technically from the West of Nigeria, but I've only ever lived down in Port Harcourt (the city that I like to think is the crown jewel of the South), so seeing a southern rapper make it big makes me feel hella chuffed (see: really proud). Normally, I wouldn't have regarded the whole Southerners/Westerners thing as relevant. I just never realized just how different they were until about two years ago. I'll probably do a Dirty Laundry post on my thoughts on the situation soon, but don't expect to be massively enlightened lol.

Back to the video.

Basically, I love it. And whilst once can say I'm fairly easy to impress in this respect, I can honestly say that for a Nigerian artiste, Yung6ix is one of the few who manages to rap "with a soul," so to speak. What I mean is, it's not the usual "I got money and you better know it and I'm gonna show it by renting a yatcht and making a video on it" songs we know and admittedly love anyway.

OK, there's a yacht in this one too but his lyrics go deeper than that and it all plays into the crux of the song: the age-old story of a rapper who's made it big, but with a more heartfelt twist. I seriously think the kid's got mad skills and meeting him is on my list of things to do before I die, just before marrying him alongside all my other celebrity crushes. I'm gonna make polyandry a thing.

Let's not forget Percy though. I honestly wish there'd been more of him in the song because I really like the intro. And not just because Aladdin is tied for being my favourite Disney prince along with Flynn Rider from Tangled. At first glance, Percy's voice doesn't really match his rather brawny stature but it was nice finally putting a face to the voice. And what a voice it is! I'm definitely keeping an eye on him.

Otee Beatz, the producer thoroughly did an amazing job on this one. I'm still scouring the net trying to find a copy of the instrumental. It's odd because I neither rap/sing nor have I expressed any non-verbal interest in music production (because quality mixing tables are not cheap and I live by the mantra "go big or go home"), but still I like to collect instrumentals to songs I like and soundtracks to movies. It's interesting listening to them and finding out if you still feel the same way you did when you first heard the song or watched the movie. A perfect example is M83 and Susanne Sundfør's Oblivion.

Anyway, I won't say much more because it's already quite a long post plus it's super late and I've got a long day tomorrow. Guess who's taken up sprinting again! I'm coaching myself because my dad's far too busy, but it's actually fun running around on my own and having people look at me like I'm nuts. Team GB, here I come!

Click below to watch the video below (or click here to watch it on YouTube) and tell me what you think in the comment box below. Thanks for reading!




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig