Pages

  • Home

3.10.13

Dirty Laundry: The 'Gap Year' Dilemma

<<WARNING: This is a rather moany post.>>

I had never considered a gap year as an alternative to university. I can't give you some intelligent psychological insight as to why because I hate psychology and also, the reason has evaded me since I found out there was such a thing as a gap year.

When it was explained to me, I did not understand why anyone would want to do it voluntarily. My train of thought went something like this:

"A whole year to adjust to life without school, only to jump right back into the pan afterwards? Why tease yourself?"

After much thought, I discovered that gap years can actually be really useful! It all depends on what you do with it, which usually depends on what you want to study and what your interests are. But it takes serious planning. Like, if I had planned to take a year out, I would have applied for an apprenticeship at a company in the field of engineering and technology because that is what I want to do in the future and having that experience will help a lot.

But now, when the apprenticeship application windows are closed for all the companies I'm interested in, I'm at a major disadvantage. I sympathize greatly with every single other person who has had to take an unplanned gap year for whatever reason. Being able to scrounge something up that's beneficial to them or their future career on such short notice is nothing short of commendable.

I am not one of those people (yet). I can barely come to terms with the fact that my university dream - the one thing that carried me through my less-than-perfect experience at boarding school - could be taken away from me. I guess that's what happens when you want something too much. But I am still clinging onto that little speck of hope like it's the last molecule of oxygen left in an atmosphere-less Earth.

I really hope it doesn't happen. I hope that a year from now, I'm sitting in the Student Union's common room, reading this post and smh-ing at how ridiculously faithless I've been this half of the year. And since I started lectures on Monday (aha, see how I dropped that little bombshell super slyly; call me Nancy Drew) , I'm hopefully back on track.

Although, 'dreaming' hasn't gotten me very far this year...

I hate 2013. 2013 sucks. I curse 2013. Bring on 2014 already!


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig