Pages

  • Home

4.12.13

NEW MUSIC: Shane Chubbz X DAP X Stan - Holiday/Where I'm From

Artwork by Suleiman Shittu [Source]

I wasn't sure how new the 'new' in my New Music category was, but this song isn't really a "throwback" either. Ironically, I personally think this song is timeless. I can safely say I'll still be listening to it years from now.

I came across this gem on SoundCloud last night (we already certified my 'last carrier' status, so it should come as no surprise) and I literally had to drop everything to rape the replay button to my heart's content. People had been tweeting about Shane Chubbz (whose real name, as far as I can Google, is Seni S.) over the summer so with my backwards thought process, I decided to ignore it; following the crowd is no fun. As far as I could tell, he was an upcoming musician and that was that.

However, last night, his name popped up in my Twitter feed again. Curious this time, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. And I am so glad I did. This guy, this eighteen-year-old guy is not playing around.

With wisdom (not to mention confidence) beyond his years, Shane makes me feel slightly ashamed for being born in the same year as him without having broken nearly as much ground in anything (yet) lol. But he's also been incredibly inspiring; I won't say how yet 'cause I'm not superstitious or anything, but in my experience, that'll only jinx it.

I recently found out he had a Tumblr, which is where I came across his interview with Ear Milk. You guys don't even wanna know how much I would've loved to be a fly on the wall when he and Dolapo Akinkugbe aka DAP were working on Holiday.

The two of them, as well as Stan, who helped out on the Where I'm From hook (not to mention Stan's group, Creative Elevation) have definitely earned themselves spots on the list of people I want to have on le blog.

Fingers crossed that last statement doesn't jinx it (I bet it does).

Holiday actually makes me feel like I'm sitting beach-side with a virgin pina colada, vibing like I haven't got a care in the world, which isn't the easiest feat considering the temperatures we're dropping to over here and the stress I'm under at school. And SC's verses on Where I'm From about life in Las Gidi (Lagos, to those who don't know) are eye-opening, insightful and incredibly honest in a way not many other young artistes dare to do these days.

I won't say much more because let's face it, the song(s) really does do all the talking, and far more eloquently than I ever could. But I will say that these are the guys you definitely want to watch out for: talented, ambitious, resourceful, shall I go so far as to say avant-garde? I shall. Brace yourselves, a music revolution just might be coming.

Holiday was produced rather aptly and remarkably by DAP, whilst Where I'm From was produced by Hannibal King. Chilling in its simplicity, Hannibal's work was skillfully befitting.

You can download the track on SoundCloud for free, or support the artistes by buying it on iTunes. I'll definitely be keeping my ear to the ground for SC's upcoming mixtape/album, '95 & Forever; the young man's gotten himself a new fan.



You can also check out the visuals to the mash-up directed by Jon J from the Mayback Music Group on Vimeo below. These guys definitely get the Go Big or Go Home movement. The Holiday bit turned out exactly the way I wanted it too; loved every bit of it! The vibrancy of Miami was portrayed to perfection, and the subtitles were a nice touch.

I did get a bit apprehensive during the transition to Where I'm From though. An impromptu flashback to the intro to D'Banj's Suddenly had me thinking, 'oh dear Lord, where are they going with this?' But Jon J did not let me down. The whole hostage thing, like he could only speak his truth because he had a gun to his head, really got me thinking.

Definitely an intriguing watch. I'd give the whole thing a 9.8 out of 10, but only because I've whimsically adopted the IMDb rating scheme in which there appear to be no 10s. And what's life without whimsy?

Happy viewing!




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig