Pages

  • Home

19.1.14

MUSIC THROWBACK: Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music

[Source]
I have loved this song since the first time I remember hearing it!


I was about seven or eight and my mum had bought this collection of old music alongside a copy of Air Supply's greatest hits. If there's one thing you should know about me, it is that I can not stand Air Supply. Every Sunday, every darn Sunday, she'd rape the Air Supply one and sing along for all of Africa to hear. It drove me mad until I just had to hide it in an old Snow White DVD case. But as karma would have it, I happened to be rifling through old DVDs a couple years later, putting them back in their right cases when the stupid thing fell out of Snow White and rolled right into my mother's path. Hell on earth started again... so a few days later, the poor thing was found in pieces near that damned CD player. But I stand by what I said, Mum; I have no idea how that happened.

But I digress. This is about Wild Cherry. In Air Supply's glorious absence from our lives before I found it, the CD my mum had bought with it took over the Sunday afternoon gig. Lots of Jackson Five, lots of Chaka Khan and there was that song, Walk Like an Egyptian by the Bangles that always made me laugh. But I particularly liked this Wild Cherry one because I totally thought the 'Funky' was a particular swear word I'm not going to stain my blog with that rhymes with 'plucking.' We weren't allowed to swear obviously, so this was like playing with fire only I couldn't get burned because she bought the CD so ultimately it would be all her fault. It was amazing! Until I read the back of the CD to put a name to the awesomeness that was this song and discovered the ugly truth.

I still love it though. And it doesn't hurt to feign ignorance every once in a while. So get your Jheri curls on and play the "funky" music via YouTube below!



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig