Pages

  • Home

14.1.14

NEW VIDEO: Donnie Trumpet X Vic Mensa - Don't Leave

[Source]

This was supposed to be my Video of the Week last week but I had an "OH MY GOD, MY EXAMS ARE NEXT WEEK, YO" moment and ended up not finishing the post on Thursday, tut-tut. However, as I write this, it's the early hours of Monday morning and I am neither fully prepared for nor fazed by the paper I've got in a couple hours. I'm not trying to test God or anything, but I could really do with a miracle today.


Moving on, singer/producer/trumpeter Nico Segal (aka Donnie Trumpet) is most popularly known for being a member of the now-defunct hip-hop ensemble, Kids These Days alongside Vic Mensa and a few other talented musicians.

Needless to say, I love this song. I've only just realized that this is the first time I've mentioned these guys on the blog which is weird because I've had Innanetape on repeat for months, and Traphouse Rock was the first time I'd heard of KTD and you know when you just know? It was like that. I did mean to do a review on Innanetape but I ended up just raping the replay button on YouTube instead, haha.


Anyway, Don't Leave comes from the seven-track Donnie Trumpet EP which dropped in June, I think and which I've embedded below for you guys below (trust me, it's a must-listen if you haven't already). Nico is an absolute beast on the trumpet, and a truly impressive artiste overall. You've probably heard his intoxicating vocals on Chance the Rapper's Acid Rain 'tape.


But we're here for the visuals.


Naveen Chaubal went in on this one! His use of soft lighting, clean open spaces and the slow-motion sequences gave the video a romantic, vintage feel. And not romantic like "ugh cheddar! I think I might just pull my eyes out" romantic or "there's so much skin on screen, I'm not sure I even know what this song is about anymore" romantic. Everything was intriguingly natural and artistic, from model/dancer Morgan Quinn's graceful movement to Nico's intense smouldering.

In my opinion, this is a pretty good depiction of young, codependent love for a song this smooth without trying too hard. You can check out the video (which was produced by the talented Michael Uzowuru, Samantha Pickett and Ankush Jindal) via YouTube below.


Happy viewing!


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig