Pages

  • Home

27.3.14

NEW MUSIC: Banky W X Maleek Berry - All For You


I have a problem with Banky W - and most Nigerian artistes in general, to be fair.

I call it the Nigerian Music Referencing System. Forget Harvard-Anglia or MLA; for these musicians, a song that does not reference at least one of their previous songs is just not complete. Every new song is just an opportunity to advertise the old ones so no one forgets them. Tell me, go on, lie to me and tell me the chorus isn't basically the same as Yes/No without the "no"? He did the same thing with Jasi. Bruuuh, I know most, if not all, Nigerian pop music can be broken down into the same fundamental beat, but why you gotta be so extra?

One could argue that it's like they're telling a story over multiple songs. Fair enough - but it's definitely not for me. That being said, I like Mr Wellington. I didn't until 2011 because I thought his Ne-Yo hat thing was really cheesy. But he seriously raised the bar with his music when he come on the scene way back when (OK it wasn't that long ago) and still does to this day with his crazy work ethic and sophisticated R'n'B sound. Fans will be fairly pleased with this offering over a classic Maleek Berry production with the smooth synths and bouncy beat.

Check out All For You via Sound Cloud below and let me know what you think.



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig