Pages

  • Home

19.4.14

NEW VIDEO: Alicia Keys X Kendrick Lamar - It's On Again

Alicia Keys X Kendrick Lamar - It's On Again | Ses Rêveries

If you follow me on Instagram, you probably already know that I went to one of the earlier showings of the Amazing Spiderman 2.

You might also have come to the conclusion that I'm kinda-sorta an above-average fan from my choice of attire. I make no excuses; I do have a bit of a thing for comics. However, I will not lie to you. It would only have taken Andrew Garfield's presence in the film to drag me out to the Vue on a weekday and miss the latest episode of Hollyoaks. He is just... Let's not digress.

As much as my childhood actrice dreams were re-ignited once again, this song was one of my favourite things about the Amazing Spiderman 2. To be fair, I had quite a few favourite things (Marc Webb, can we be besties?).

I'm a tad (see: incredibly) partial to any Hans Zimmer production, but this song truly is quite good. If you were ever worried that there might be too much going on with Pharrell, Hans Zimmer, Alicia Keys and Kendrick Lamar working on one little song, you can be rest assured they've made some brilliant magic here. The educated ones will bash it for not being perfect; but the intelligent will tell you the best things never are.

The cross-genre It's On Again has an empowering orchestral Hip Hop disco feel to it. I do wish there had been a little more Kendrick, but it's good just the same. The perfect accompaniment to an equally stimulating film. The visuals were pretty good as far as music videos go. With a minimal use of colour, the video sees the quartet stepping up as Spiderman's sidekicks, watching over the city of New York and looking out for everybody's favourite arachnoid superhero. Kendrick starts us off, creating an air of mystery and spitting fire into his walkie-talkie as his crew load up a truck. Alicia Keys looks every inch the bad-ass in all black in a dimly-lit room overlooking the New York skyline. Computer-savvy Pharrell then creates a fantastic light show using the NY skyscrapers as the music visualizers to Hans' orchestra while, in snippets from the film, Spidey does his thang. It's as cheesy as you'd expect, but a lot of fun to watch all the same.

If you haven't already gathered, I straight-up love this movie. Yes, superheroes are right up my street but I'd definitely advise that you give it a go - because it is AWESOME.  I will not write an essay as to why I say so, as I can already see things spiralling out of control. It would be a lengthy, tedious affair for us all, I assure you. I will say that the cheese factor is gastronomical - I'm talking Level Ryan Gosling - but it was cute.

Besides, I have left the film critiquing role in the more than capable hands of my sister though, so if you like, you can keep an eye out for her Movie Mondays post in a few days next week.

Still, before we move on to the video, I'd just like to take this moment to bask in the awesomeness that is this feeling I have, knowing that I have seen this movie before the general American public. No offence to the country, I have nothing but love for all fifty states and their peoples, however it is such a colossal pain in the neck not being able to keep up faster because of their distribution laws.

I die a little every time I see the message "this video is not available in your country". Most recently, I was beyond outraged that I could not watch a recap of Andrew, Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx's interview on the Graham Norton show for a while because it wasn't available in the UK yet. I mean, how does that work? Graham Norton is British. The show is run by the BBC - unmistakably a British company. It was filmed in Great Britain. Andrew is British. Paolo Nutini, the live act that night, also British. We are, first and foremost, your target audience. So where does the logic lie?

So big thanks to the Spidey cast and crew for letting me have this moment. Take that, Graham Norton!

The Amazing Spiderman 2 soundtrack will be released April 22. Enjoy!




Photo source: Stereogum.com
Share:

2 comments

  1. Ooo!! Such a good post, K. I must say this song did make its way onto my ipod shortly after I left the cinema as did 'Honest' by The Neighbourhood. I love that song!! :D This totally needs to be added to our Road Trip playlist. I hope you have been compiling one! :P

    Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thank you! Yeah, I started the playlist a while ago (of course it starts off with 'Carry On My Wayward Son' lol) so I'll definitely add this! And oh my days, don't get me started on 'Honest', gurrrl. I still can't write about it without getting emosh lool

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig