Pages

  • Home

4.4.14

NEW VIDEO: TeeJay X Lola Rae - Work


Boy, am I glad I checked Instagram tonight...

I was fortunate enough to catch the clip Lola Rae posted from the music video to Work, the song she and TeeJay cooked up together and released about a week ago (at least that's how long I've known about it), before it disappeared into the maze that is an unchecked Instagram feed.

I know I preach that new is always better, but more often than not, when it comes to new artistes - especially those who feature people I recognize - I adopt the "you don't even go here"/"you can't sit with us" mentality. It's childish, unnecessary and ultimately unfair, I know. But don't we all have a stereotypical American high schooler who only wears pink on Wednesdays hidden deep down inside?

No?

OK, perhaps it has something to do with the tendency of indie artistes these days to spew out the same generic music we're getting from the industry heavyweights then. I mean, if playing it safe is your steeze, at least make it fantastically so.

With that in mind, this video has only served to cinch the deal for me regarding TeeJay. I don't know if it's the visual confirmation of the scintillating chemistry between him and Lola, the 'vintage luxury' edge that the visuals have or how refreshing it is to here such refined albeit safe R'n'B from someone so young - at least I assume he's young; after seeing Vanessa Paradis on the cover of Net-a-Porter's the Edit, as far as I'm concerned, he could easily be forty-one too. What I do know is that I shall be pinning his name on a notice board in my memory palace.

The gorgeous nineteenth-century manor couldn't have been a more perfect setting. Director Tatenda Jamera did a brilliant job of transporting us into an ethereal world where old met modern in the most appealing of coalescence. Where the shots of the décor a bit much? Yes, I personally find those a bit random and unnecessary - especially where taxidermy is concerned (see 2:50). Do I wish the costume designer had breathed a bit more vintage life into Lola's outfits? Yes, I do. Coupled with TeeJay's rather dapper suits, I think taking wardrobe inspiration from Breakfast at Tiffany's for Lola might have made this a tad more effective. Nonetheless, she looked amazing - as always.

Overall, I quite liked this. They took a very direct, seductive song and gave it a spot of class by sourcing that intense feeling of suspense, vulnerability and powerless desperation that comes with being around a lover, but ultimately being unable to do anything about it. In their case, this could be because of the presence of the people who kept bumping into the poor guy in the hallway. I don't know, really; I suck at complex visual interpretation. But from what I gathered, TeeJay appears to be a force to reckon with.

Check out the visuals to Work via You Tube below and let me know what you think.


Share:

1 comment

  1. i enjoyed reading this! More of TeeJay below! and enjoy!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37cTm_kSAHA

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3EHjNmmaI

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig