Pages

  • Home

11.4.14

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

I look like my head's on backwards, haha...

The sun's been out a lot here in Leeds (only been here for about seven months but I am officially calling myself the Leodensian). For some reason, I'm still expecting a random snow day or two. Even though I hate the cold, I was born in the winter for the winter. Midges and creep crawlies see the sun as an excuse to come out in the thousands and be all up in my grill, all up in my space. I mean, just three nights ago, my friend Poppy found a ladybug inside our flat! Let's just say it didn't make it to the morning. One of the few upsides to having the sun out and about though: the football games played at the park outside my window. More specifically, shirts versus skins. I'm always grateful for guys' inability to just colour co-ordinate before heading out to the field.

Anyway, a couple weekends ago, I went to the dreary, insect-ridden beautiful, serene Lake District to visit my friends at my old school and escape the sun. As usual, my trip was riddled with "aww you poor thing" stories.

On the day I was due to head out there, I very nearly missed the deadline for a very important assignment, which I later found out didn't even need to be handed in until the following Monday. This also meant I was on the verge of missing my train. After frantically begging the taxi company to "please send someone quick - like he-should-already-be-here quick", I remembered I had no actual money on me and therefore, needed to stop at an ATM in high traffic.

I got to the station just in time... to wave my train good-bye, that is. Heartbroken (not to mention starving - I'm not good with breakfast on weekdays), I hopped onto the next train to Manchester a couple minutes later and whipped out my phone to alert my friend/landlord-for-the-weekend that I'd be late... only to find that my joke of a phone had finally given up on life completely in my pocket. So I had no way to let her know I needed to be picked up about half an hour later than we planned.

But I was already on my way so that bridge would be crossed when they were met.

Cue the delayed connecting train from Manchester to Lancaster, which, upon arrival, managed to convince nearly all passengers that it was actually meant for another journey completely. In a leap of faith, I hopped onto the train anyway and decided I didn't care where it led to. It would all be part of "the story" that is my future Wikipedia page/memoir, I told myself. Turns out it was the right train! I got off at Lancaster to find I had an extra forty-five minutes to wait...

Oh wait.

No, I did not have forty-five minutes because the PA system-man decided to casually let us that the train had just pulled up on a platform on the other side of the station. So I had to pick up my bags (yes, plural - the trip was only for two and a half days, but I can't help it) and make like Forrest Gump lest I miss it.

[source]

I made it, thank God, and when I finally got to my always-deserted destination, my mood was already as surly as it could be. This was not helped by the fact that I had somehow forgotten just how much I hated that place. Simply put, I am not a country girl. I thrive amid the skyscrapers, cultural diversity, pedestrian rage and never-ending hustle and bustle. So it should come as no surprise that New York is my be-all and end-all.

I'm also not very patient so after an excruciating five-minute wait at the "station" - basically two platforms and a tiny cottage that's supposed to be the information centre but was just for show - I decided to make my way to my old school on foot (the only place I knew how to get to - or so I thought) because with the distinct lack of payphones, calling a taxi was out of the question. So, heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's down the muddy, sheep poo-ridden path we go... Again, in heels (I. Never. Learn).

The rest of the trip wasn't all bad though. It proved to be a unknowingly necessary catharsis. I took the liberty of taking some random scenic pictures for you guys because apparently nature is "pretty." I've also added some mood music, an appropriately-titled track by one of my favourites, Klaves, so click play first then scroll.




Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

Look at all this green [sigh]. During this particular walk, I was strapped up in my favourite everyday boots which looked like this after twenty minutes...

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

... and then this happened.

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

They really need pavements in this town, seriously. It is not fun straddling rails while cars whiz past you when there aren't any disgusting albeit safe footpaths to walk on.

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

This sign, I definitely should have paid attention to before embarking on the trek back. It rained horribly that evening and the water had risen so frigging high, it was almost flooding the roads. I've had lessons, sure, but I still cannot swim to save my life, so it was not exactly a fun thought, getting washed offshore and discarded on some deserted island without food or water or, worse, internet access. But it was fine. As you can see, my ISPs and I have since been reunited.

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

I ran into a few cheeky little buggers as well.

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

I don't usually like sheep. They're loud, they're smelly and I nearly got attacked by a group of them once. I'd never seen one up close before so, on a random walk with a friend one day, I went up to a little one on a field - suddenly there was a score of them coming right at me. I wasn't sure if I should just run or if they could smell fear, like dogs. So I went with the latter and crept away slowly. That is, until I spotted a male ones with mahoosive horns in the mix. Then I just legged it, screaming "I will not be f--king killed in the f--king countryside by f--king sheep!"

But the lambs above were pretty cute.

I have a friend who lives in the next town over, and she and her housemates were nice enough to let me stay in one of their guest rooms for the weekend.

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

I'm not usually a fan of cottages either (do you see what I mean? The countryside is not for me), but this one sat in a part of town that actually made me feel that at-one-with-nature peacefulness that tree-huggers always go on about. It was massive as well with quite a lot of antiques and dated fixtures that gave the building so much character - like the coal fireplace, for example.

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

In the absence of the men of the house one cold night, we tried to put it on by ourselves with under the direction of our good friend, YouTube.

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

We got it working but I still had my shoes on with my phone and laptop clutched to my chest, juuust in case things went awry. The rest of my time there was spent at my old school. However I was too busy swapping stories and catching up on all the juicy gossip - an inevitability in a house of over a hundred teenagers - to take any pictures there, so here are a few older pictures from my last trip to make up for it (as if you haven't scrolled enough, haha).

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries
Photo Diary: A Cumbrian Getaway | Ses Rêveries

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig