Pages

  • Home

21.8.14

LISTEN: Regina Spektor - You've Got Time


By the time this post goes live, I will have successfully finished watching all of OITNB at least five times over.

Regina Spektor was called upon by OITNB creator Jenji Kohan (whose music sense is pretty darn awesome) to pen You've Got Time specifically for the show - quite a big deal, if you ask me. Pivotal scenes aside, the song for a show's opening credits is so much more important than music supervisors (I still prefer the term 'music director'; is that just me?) are really given credit for.

I still can't listen to the Dandy Warhol's We Used to be Friends without thinking about one of the shows that helped raise me, Veronica Mars - thank God for the film; insufficient but much-needed closure #TeamEchollsForever. I'd recognize Nerf Heder's Buffy Theme any time, any day, anywhere; if I had an exercise playlist (see: if I ever had a reason to have an exercise playlist*), this would so be on it. I was recently caught and consequently shamed for still being able to sing all the words to the King of Queens theme song, Baby All My Life by Billy Vera five years after I'd last watched an episode: my eyes are getting weary, my back is getting tight - everybody! ... No? OK.

The Rembrandts' I'll Be There For You - I don't even need to say where that's from, as well as: now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum... Also: Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can (this one is my all-time favourite version though)... And let's not forget: they're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky, they're altogether ooky... And last but not least, and this is a story all about how my life got flipped, turned upside down...

Enough said?

As a person who (very) often goes through her mental music archives looking for the perfect song for pretty much every moment, the job of a music director has always fascinated me; even more so because it's amazing how right a lot of them get it! But with writing a song for this purpose, it's simultaneously easier and monumentally more difficult - unless you just so happen to have a gem sitting pretty in your archive (case in point: Nerf Heder for Buffy).

But back to Spektor. There has been an oddly large debate about this song. Both here in my humble abode, in bed with my boyfriend, Mixing Bowl who's always filled with 4-for-£1 popcorn (I'm taking the 'student life' thing very seriously, you see) and on many other sites across the interweb, it turns out!

From my ten-second assessment of the situation, there are three teams in this fight but only two main players. The "we can't get enough of it" group is oddly in the minority, with the "just let it be" people and the "urgh, make it stop" people arguing the loudest. I for one, am torn between the last two.

On one hand, I still occasionally have to stop myself from yelling "and yoouu've gooot tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime" - only because I acquired a new set of flatmates for the summer and the walls... well, there might as not be any. The track is loud, yes, but it's undeniably catchy given the deceptively mellow nature of the actual opening credits. It does everything a theme song should essentially do: be relevant to the plot and etch itself on one's memory.

On the other hand, if a theme is any longer than forty-five seconds, they are really pushing it. I don't really mind the volume or the cell-door clanging, but the theme is about a minute and ten seconds long. A minute and ten seconds. And the awkward fumbling as you try to skip ahead but go a little too far after which you try to go back just in time to hear "and yoouu've gooot tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime" once again... it's torture. Why must it be so long?

I always, always, always fool myself into thinking it's over just before Regina goes "think of all the roads..." Two seasons so far, thirteen episodes in each; that's twenty-six times my heart has been utterly crushed by her taking yet another breath before I'm allowed to return to the episode at hand... give or take the first few when it hadn't quite lost its charm.

It's made me so grateful for shows like Scandal that just don't bother at all.





*Perhaps if I made one I'd actually try to do a sit-up that isn't part of my getting-out-of-bed-in-the-morning routine?

Photo source: ReginaSpektor.com
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig