Pages

  • Home

9.10.14

Art: OMNI Pictures' Theatre of Illumination

OMNI's Theatre of Illumination | Ses Rêveries

First and foremost, I apologize for the video in this post. Somewhere between hitting record and watching the display, I simply forgot that the microphone picked up everything, including my usual fan-girl banter. And this was before I met the artist.

I have been looking on the Leeds Inspired website for the past couple of months in search of film-making and photography masterclasses to no pocket-friendly avail. I came across one of their flyers advertising a few art installments here and there this month, but all the dates appeared to coincide with after-school meetings, so I didn't take note of their locations.

Last Thursday, after that committee meeting I mentioned that also made me miss my Krav Maga session (boo), I took the long way home through Millenium Square and stumbled across one of the coolest things I've ever seen. This, as some of you may know, is not a massive stretch as far as comparisons go - but trust me, it was seriously amazing! And it was happening in my city - and I didn't miss it!

OMNI's Theatre of Illumination | Ses Rêveries

For the Theatre of Illumination, OMNI Pictures artists, Will Simpson and Julien Lasson projected a beautiful white display with supporting surround sound effects onto the Leeds Civic Hall in a fluid, evocative, enthralling art experience. The sound scape was produced by Leeds-based musician Lee J. Malcolm and composer Tom Hopkins, comprised of altered soundbites from recordings of our merry little city.

Of course, I just had to find out the name of the people who created the Theatre of Illumination for this piece. But the security lady did me one better and introduced me to Will, a really nice filmmaker and video designer and founder of OMNI. Of course, I had to take a picture of him. It might've helped if I knew what side the flash was on to not avoid the glare, but excitement > common sense.

OMNI's Theatre of Illumination | Ses Rêveries

Ignoring the rather irritating voices (trust me, I know, I had to listen to them repeatedly while editing), check out the footage I shot from the projection that night below.

The Theatre of Illumination was commissioned by Leeds Inspired.




All photos by me. See the disclaimer for image use policy.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig