Pages

  • Home

11.12.14

#TBT: Simon & Garfunkel - Bleecker Street

Simon & Garfunkel - Bleecker Street | Ses Rêveries

This week's #ThrowbackThursday selection was more or less inspired by yesterday's Listen track - and it's an (obvious) good'un.

Bleecker Street is the third track off Simon & Garfunkel's 1964 debut LP, Wednesday Morning, 3 a.m. which more or less tanked on release thanks to the Beatles (ugh). Written by Paul Simon - the Simon in Simon & Garfunkel - the lyrics are poetic and filled with enough metaphors to tickle any music or literature lover's fancy. I find the religious probes and the descriptively vague imagery punctuated with that I saw a shadow / touch a shadows hand line particularly fascinating. In his typical writing fashion, it is beautiful in its subtext and narrative.

This song is the main reason Bleecker Street Records is on my list of stops for my first trip to New York in God-knows-how-many years. Well, that and because, you know, duh, vinyl paradise. It's not far from CBGB either... well, it's John Varvatos now, I believe, but I will still walk into that building as if nothing has changed. It's like Jaden and Willow Smith say, the laws of time are ours to bend - time doesn't exist.*



PS - I found this 2009 critical essay on Bleecker Street in search for a cover photo - well worth the read!




Photo credit: Simon & Garfunkel/Columbia Records

*I love those two. They're so special.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig