Pages

  • Home

6.1.15

Journal: I'm In Love with the Cocoa | "Brookies"

My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries

Hard to believe, but I actually did think O.T. Genasis was literally declaring his love of baking in this brave new world where, thanks to all the hashtag activism we've experienced in the past few years, he felt he finally could without fear of mockery from his rapper peers... I also thought the guy was mentally challenged with those lyrics, so I guess I was wrong on all counts.

In my defence, I'd only heard snippets of it in those inescapable Facebook vids but I safely protected my eyes from the music video for months - until he dropped another one (my mouth seems to be permanently set in a frown now; too many "notable" names involved, who have now entirely earned themselves those derisive quotation marks).

That being said, the ridiculousness of CoCo did not stop me from singing about how much I too love baking soda on NYE when Mo and I attempted to make these yummy sugar-dusted cookie-shaped brownies aptly called "brookies." Mo saw the recipe in a YouTube video by one Lily Pebbles, and asked me if I wanted to take a break from our Hawaii Five-O* binge fest to make them. It was about ten or eleven that night but I'm always hungry - always - so I figured, "what the heck?"

My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries

Baking with Mo is different though. You see, where I am more of an... instinctive baker, Mo actually owns proper baking stuff like a whisk and a weighing balance - crazy, right? Yeah... I'm not quite sure how I survived without that last one either. I still make pretty good pancakes though. But I'm assuming I've already scared you off from ever coming over for breakfast at mine, haha.

My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries

I'm not going to lie, I contributed to none of the above. I was distracted as I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to use JARVIS for the first time. Some of you have met Tony, but JARVIS is new (any Iron Man fans here?). He's the super-sexy new DSLR I got for Christmas. If you're wondering where I stand on the sanity scale, my SD cards are called R2-D2 and C-3PO, so...

These weren't his first ever photos though. No, Mo raped him by using him to take rather embarrassing photos of me asleep on her couch in my usual stunning Disney-princess fashion, photos that no one else will ever see, they're that attractive (I hate you, Mo).

My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries

I did step in for the last few steps though. I absolutely hate getting my hands dirty, especially if sticky substances are involved as they're harder to wash off. If I can get away with a fork, I rarely eat with my hands even - chicken, chips and subs excluded, of course. Not even eba, for my West Africans. But because I'm such a lovely sister, only very little coercion was necessary.

My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries
My NYE w/ Lily Pebbles' Brookies | Ses Rêveries

And then I burnt my batch (not photographed). If you've seen this shambles, this should come as no surprise. Like I said, pancakes are more my thing... I swear, I cook better than I bake, haha.

Suji was of course, absent in all of this, turning up in typical younger-brother fashion at the very end only to discover he is not as in love with the cocoa as he thought ("ugh, it's too rich, God, ugh"). Mo and I however, loved them - so thank you, Ms Lily Pebbles! Let me know if guys tried - or try - the recipe too! She's a pretty big beauty YouTuber from what I could tell, so definitely check her out if you're into all that!

*

Overall, it was a standard, mellow New Year's Eve for us: food and television shows while we waited for the annual live stream of the fireworks display in London on BBC One, and it was fantastic! I've still never been to a proper NYE bash which is for the very best, to be perfectly honest. I'd just spend the entire evening eating hors-d'oeuvre and trying to catch the eye of the gorgeous stranger somewhere across the room who's been cast by the gods as my leading man in this magical made-for-TV spectacle in the run up to me pulling a Cinderella at midnight. I see you judging, but this could totally happen outside the fanciful utopia inside my cranium.

There are too many indicators of why I am single in this one post, it's quite sad, really.

I hope you guys had your own perfect starts to the new year as well! I know some of you started school or work yesterday, but on the bright side, you probably don't have an Artificial Intelligence exam in nine days you haven't been studying well enough for. And that warrants a "yay", trust me.

*

[UPDATE: I'm freeing up Wednesdays on the blog now thanks to the new timetable this semester (guess who's got a new module to deal with now... I swear it's just Whinge Central over here, sorry, guys), so it'll be back to the regular schedule on Thursday.]




*Hawaii Five-O is amazing! I've decided: I'm going to marry a US Navy commander... called Steve McGarrett... who also kicks ass in a government task force in Hawaii... because H5O Steve is perfection. I will also happily settle for Danny... or Chin (that face, omg)... or, let's be honest, Kono - that girl is beyond beautiful!


Photos by me, photos of my hands by Mo for Ses Rêveries. Please see the disclaimer for my image use policy.
Share:

2 comments

  1. "And then I burnt my batch" - this line got me gooood! Burst out laughing and had to immediately stop, as I suddenly remembered I wasn't at home, which then caused me to choke slightly. Serves me right for reading this at work but I'm on my lunch break so it ain't so bad :D Don't worry, your next batch will be amazeballs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaaa, class! We deeefinitely have to give them another go soon, I refuse to fail at this baking thing lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig