Pages

  • Home

10.3.15

Classical: Cloud Atlas, the OST

Classical: Cloud Atlas, the OST | Ses Rêveries

Well, I couldn't pick just one now, could I?

I'm 99% certain I've mentioned this film on the blog before but I can't find anything to confirm it, so I'll just give you a quick summary of my sentiments toward it.

Simply put: I absolutely, positively love it. And I don't use that word nearly as lightly as it might seem. With three directors - Tom Tykwer and Andy & Lana Wachowski - at the helm, Cloud Atlas might just be the closest thing to a favourite film for me, it's just amazing. It is by no means perfect - and given the sprawling scope of the book it's based on, this is completely understandable - but it is just brilliant enough to suffice. It's one of those movies that remind you of why you fell in love film in the first place, and that make wannabes like me want to try making one of their own too... although let's face it, that love affair began with the Disney Channel way back when.

I'm not one to get particularly sentimental about celebrities but I know for a fact if I ever met Jim Sturgess, I would just be a bumbling, embarrassing mess of unintelligible emotions. That man is glorious, so of course anything with him in it is a sure winner in my books [Editor's Recommendation*: The Way Back]. And then of course, there's Ben Whishaw and James D'Arcy (the legitimate feels), her Majesty Queen Halle Berry, Bae Doona (best name ever), Tom Hanks, Hugo Weaving ("Mr Anderson"... some things have to be done)... I really don't want to ruin it for you but even you should be able to tell how incredible Cloud Atlas must be with that line-up.

Too many power players, I hear some of you say? That's exactly why I decided to watch it before reading the book (still on my to-do list smh). I love to tear a film right down to its casting choices; it just feels more thorough that way. But trust me, these guys committed to their roles more than enough for the film to fully submerge you in an intriguing narrative Sir Isaac Newton would be proud of, with Tom Tykwer on double duty as composer alongside Johnny Klimek and Reinhold Heil sugar-coating your ears along the way.

I really can't sing its praises enough, the soundtrack is just flawless. There's so much going on in the film, it's bound to lose or confuse a few people having earned itself increasingly mixed reviews over the years. Some praise its emotional depth, thought-provoking narrative and cinematography; others commend its overall ambitiousness; and a few just miss the plot altogether, decidedly calling it the worst movie ever... to each their own, even though the latter are dead wrong and have no idea what they're talking about.

But the music, at least? The music is faultless and I dare you to disagree with me.



Photo credit: Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.


*Yeah. That just happened. I just referred to myself as the editor. Boom.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig