Pages

  • Home

8.3.15

Journal: Notes on Stravinsky, Music & Film

Notes on Igor Stravinsky, Music & Film | Ses Rêveries

As has become blatantly obvious on the blog, I've taken a few steps back from "collecting" new music. Yes, I take a curatorial approach to the music I listen to, but my standards have skyrocketed to that awfully pessimistic stage where I write songs off based purely on the packaging. Newer names excite but usually disappoint and, somewhat ironically, the big names hold even less reverence as I'm convinced their over-hyped music saturating every media outlet will surely irritate.

The songs I long for are the ones that make you forget about how long you've been stood at the sink with a toothbrush dangling from your mouth because you're too busy just listening to bother with spatial awareness, whilst simultaneously serving as essential markers in the fluid stream of events called time, e.g. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, July 2002: first time I heard Maroon V's This Love over the PA system; not the best example, and I'm pretty sure it had more to do with my extreme pleasure at bidding Nigeria adieu for another few months in our eagerly-anticipated annual return to "civilized society" but Adam Levine still brings me such joy to this very day. It's that lasting effect I'm talking about. But they are just too hard to find - like, if uni could just stop being such an invasive, time-hogging chore, that'd be great - and the terrible ones, too ubiquitous for me to even bother filtering when I do find a minute.

Similarly, winding back the clocks has become tedious. There are many sure winners, of course, but I want new. I want that toothpaste-foam-drooling-down-my-chin-and-I-don't-even-care-because-I-am-in-awe newness, but I'm just too lazy to look around. Even the thought of the word "research" makes me think about my Artificial Intelligence coursework, still untouched after about two weeks.

So... we've concluded I'm a lazy git. I'm an enjuhneering stoodent though, so it's hardly surprising.

What has this first-world predicament left me with?

[fanfare]

Film scores, aka the old faithfuls. My dearest Zimmer, Mansell, Tiersen, Jablonsky, Elfman, Desplat, Morricone and co. have soothed my aural grief greatly this year. Of course, some films have required a bit of research to find the composer's name. After finding out Ludovic Bource scored The Artist, I feel like a "Discovery of the Month"-type series is in order for people like me, who usually leave cinemas early (unless it's a Marvel film; goes without saying, really) or generally can't be arsed keeping their finger on the pulse in other respects.

But in this case, it is always absolutely, undeniably, unfailingly worth it, if not for the discernable brilliance in their construction, then at least for the cinematic memories. Film music is much more relevant than I feel it's given credit for, still. Most people behind the scenes generally rely on their prestige being carried on in the form of rather exclusive conversations between film buffs and industry contemporaries, which is quite sad. But it's like my friend, Igor Stravinsky (#famzer) implies above: ambience in film is crucial, and it just would not be complete without the music we all know and love. So why aren't some of us paying more attention?

I know this post is pretty random and lacking direction (and long). But it's because a friend of mine recently shared the song he had composed specifically for his short film, which I helped produce back in November (did I mention that on here? I feel like I would have). I mean, how freaking amazing is that?! We finally got to hear the finished product and it sounds so good! And more importantly, new and saturated with memories of holding lights, whispering instructions and laughing at passersby who managed to get by us and walk straight into the shot.

I suppose having the opportunity to help out on a few short films has helped me appreciate the music even more than when I used to (it's also done wonders in resurrecting a few dead-and-buried dreams that now won't go away, but that's a whole other story).

But I'm sure if any one of you have been in a similar music funk or just need to mix it up a bit, a trip down memory lane with the OST of your favourite film will just about fix it for you.

I watched The Fountain for the umpteenth time this weekend (my heart is still in the ICU) so Death is the Road to Awe has been my poison of choice to kick-start the festivities. Check it out below, and just tell me it's not the best thing since sliced bread and I'll watch your pants burn.

Another favourite will be next week's Classical piece because it's just so amazing it deserves way more than a backlink.






Card designed by me for Ses Rêveries. Please see the disclaimer for my image use policy.
Share:

1 comment

  1. Thank you so much... You are an eclectic and creative young princess. I love that you do not fit inside anyone's box. You are your own version and a wonderful one too :))))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig