Pages

  • Home

9.5.15

Introducing: Justine Marcoux

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

Guys, I'd like you all to meet Justine [Justine, meet the champions of my chronic procrastination].

The weekend before the last, one of the many where I should have been studying but decided "meh", I did something a little (a lot) out of the norm: I, ladies and gents, had a photo shoot. Well, a test shoot but that's all semantics.

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

On one delightfully rainy Saturday afternoon, I got to point my lens at something that wasn't me (so many self-portraits, so much shame... but we both know I'll share them on here eventually) or flowers or someone who shared my DNA. Instead, I aimed it at the lovely Justine, an English Literature transfer student from Grasse, France who's only in Leeds until the end of the year. But I only found out about all of that during the shoot. Prior to, all I knew was her name and that she was blonde...

I think my parents could have done a better job with the whole "stranger danger" life lesson; it didn't quite stick.

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries


To be fair, I did have reason to believe Justine wasn't a raving psychopath. I'm currently directing (and potentially shooting - eeeep!) a little something in collaboration with my university's fashion society and a student-run apparel company, and she wanted to model for us but she e-mailed me to let me know she couldn't make it to the casting we held before the Easter break but was still very much interested. Unfortunately albeit miraculously, we had too many models to choose from already but after a week or two, I suddenly remembered I was desperate for models so I asked if she'd mind modelling for my blog instead and she kindly obliged.

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

Seeing as I'd never done a "proper" shoot with a living subject who wasn't me and/or my brother before, I planned to research as much about photography as I could so I'd be prepared, and then conveniently forgot to make those plans a reality. It didn't help that my false confidence ensured I felt I didn't even need to - "you're awesome, Kay-Kay, you gats this" - and then it quickly evaporated the second Justine and I walked into the room we'd be shooting in.

And with good reason too; I did not gat this.

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

So there we were: her, the eager new model and me, the incredibly inexperienced photographer who couldn't tell the bloody difference between the two lenses she brought - a DC kit lens and a telephoto, if you were wondering (whatever those mean). And let's not forget the Hope and the Prayer I conjured and begged to see me through this poop storm I'd orchestrated.

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

After I fumbled around with the manual settings (and obviously did a horrible job of it too... if only it had occurred to me to shoot in auto) and started snapping away, we got to chatting in my desperate attempt to distract her from the fact that, save for holding the camera the right way up, I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

But it helped that she didn't really know what to do either.

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

Having endured my fair share of standing rather uncomfortably in front of a camera with no idea what my face was doing much less what it was supposed to be doing, it was actually really comforting to know that I wasn't the only one putting on a brave front in the room. She of course, had no reason to - she was a natural! But our mutual lack of experience made the rest of the shoot a lot less awkward. We also bonded over our tendency to share our personal musings with the internet - she runs the rather unique Le Blog de Parler sans Bruit, an intriguing medley of poetry, quotes and heart that's also given my French a much-needed workout.

Suddenly, I didn't feel so lame directing her to try different poses or cringing when I suggested something that just did not work in the end. Her faith in my judgment was more helpful than she'll ever know, and to say she did a good job of interpreting my "ooh, ooh, maybe stand this way and look this way then I'll go this way... hmm, or maybe that way" sans arm gestures is an understatement.

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

But the candid ones are still my favourite, because Sid Avery. One day, Sid, one day...

Now, back to the semantics. As I mentioned this was a test shoot, it suggests there's more to come - and there is! I thought it only fair to have a pre-shoot to introduce you to Justine, and to get a feel for how we worked together, before the main editorial shoot (which was last Sunday, actually). I think I might make this a thing if I get lucky and find another model t work with; it was a lot of fun!

Sadly though, you won't be able to see the editorial for a while because I intelligently chose to do all of this so close to exams and my slower-than-slow laptop means editing has to be postponed to a time when I'm not quite so stressed or I'll just end up punching through the screen or something. But I hope this is enough to tide those of you interested in the editorial section over until then. I make no promises but if all goes to plan, there may be something else for us to be excited about and to make SesRevs look even more confused than it is (yay)! Well, mainly me and Justine because I've wanted to do it for nearly three years now and she of course, modelled for it. But you're welcome to happy dance with us if/when it happens.

Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries
Introducing: Justine Marcoux | Ses Rêveries

All clothes are the model's own.

Credits

Modelling - Justine Marcoux
Photography (lol) - Kay-Kay Yay


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig