Pages

  • Home

12.6.15

Vibes / Centrefold SS15

Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries

This editorial got me thinking a lot about the female anatomy...

Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries
Kate Bogucharskaia by Eric Guillemain and Katie Burnett for Centrefold Spring-Summer 2015 | Ses Rêveries

A decade ago, if you showed me a picture of a half-naked person, I'd have told my mum on you (I was such a tattletale). I wouldn't even have known why. But the same way love scenes on TV meant hands were to be clasped over eyes, nudity meant it was time to get out of dodge.

Today, I struggle with gauging what's socially-acceptable viewing and what isn't.* I now have very little idea of where to draw the NSFW line in my travels through the fashion photography realm. The rest of the images from this editorial had to deleted because it completely escaped my mind that since my blog isn't marked as NSFW, they'd probably upset somebody (or their parents). Why? I think nipples are still a no-no as far as "safe image sharing" goes... not that the audience we're protecting don't have nipples of their own. In fact, I think some of the above may pose some problems as well because somewhere out there, there's probably one person thinking, "damn... that sternum." But for some reason, I forget what it is, it's best that they not see what they'll eventually grow into just yet. It's much better to wait until it starts happening and they're all confused with the hormones and the peer pressure and the urges (funny word that).

I think it may have something to do with the fear of them becoming sexualized too early? I wasn't a very bright child so I'm probably not the best example, but the only reason I knew sex was a "bad" thing, was because we weren't supposed to watch it on TV. I'd have been none the wiser otherwise for many years. With kids these days though, I suppose that is a definite risk.** But if living in a crowded boarding house with 150+ teenagers taught me anything it's that rules, especially those governing sexual conduct, were made to be broken. I was in a separate wing with way more security measures in place, but I know there are several rooms in the main girls dorm I wouldn't want to be assigned to without a new mattress being installed and all surfaces, wiped down with antibacterial gel. I suppose that could be due to it being the parents' decision regarding when the child should be deemed as "ready" to view such photos, which usually never comes quick enough because they're already trying to figure something out on their own by the time they hit their teens... Cue the awkward silence that follows that inevitable uninformed movie selection to watch with the family, with a plot seemingly determined to blind side all involved.

So I'm not clear on where the logic in all of this lies, but it should be there somewhere.

Of course, in some cases, it is just plain objectification which is a sad sight, wrong on all counts and definitely not something to encourage. But in most, it's either bold and endearing imagery, visually striking and taking no prisoners; or it's a softer, more poetic appreciation of the female form often hidden by the covetable clothes they're basically selling to us (hello, trousers with slits, have you met my wardrobe?).

Plus, after several bouts with both on Tumblr, I find it's actually pretty liberating seeing a woman so comfortable in her own skin that not even a (probable) stranger with a camera deters her resolve. I know for a fact that we will just never know what I'd do in such a situation because it will never arise. But I like to think I'd look just as toned and what-not, given all the cardio and squats I still do not do.

While I would like to credit fashion photography completely, the Free the Nipple campaign*** may have played a part in my desensitization as well. A small role, mind you, but it would be ingenuine to pretend their contemporary "revolution" didn't make some kind of impact. At best, it helped highlight just how sexist nudity policies are to the younger generation, the majority of whom seem hell-bent on personifying the term "clueless," at least in my experience.

But at the end of the day, it's really not that big of a deal compared to a lot of things the nepotistic celebrity progeny could use their "influence" to do. Feel free to delete your Instagram account if nipples are your photographic subject of choice. That's what Tumblr's for, isn't it?



Model: Kate Bogucharskaia
Photographer: Eric Guillemain
Stylist: Katie Burnett
Hair Stylist: Kayla Michele
Make-Up Artist: Asami Taguchi
Publication: Centrefold Magazine
Issue: Spring/Summer 2015




*Note to self: no more Tumblr in uni.


**Do they even know what a Barbie is, or do they just go straight from the womb to dirty magazines and faces caked with make-up these days? The girls in bustiers with their AAA cups do make me laugh though.


***It pains me to give this lot any commendation; I find both sides of this fandango incredibly stupid.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig