Pages

  • Home

1.7.16

Seeing Red

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries

Sensitive readers, beware. I'm not here for you today.

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries

I picked the worst time to lose my phone.

I've been off the grid for about a month now (not entirely out of character, as you know, but this time it was completely unintentional) because my dearly departed cellphone refused to charge back up regardless of how many new batteries I chucked at it. It's most likely a contact problem at the charging port so fixing it was mostly likely more money than I was willing to spend on a phone that old.

I'd been looking for an excuse to get a new one (again) for months so this, to me, was low-key kismet. But pray tell, how many of you have gone through the rite of passage that is applying for your first phone on contract, after living your whole life with an acute fear of debt, only to find you have terrible credit because your mobile service provider claims you've owed them money for a phone you've never seen in your life much less used on a monthly plan you never agreed to for nearly two years now?

Life is cruel, but to me, it can be especially petty. It has been, and continues to be, a nightmare trying to sort this mess out.

Meanwhile, work picked up. Deadlines loomed. Events came and went. And Brexit happened, leading to much national "Bregret" and also, much unfiltered xenophobia (not that I have experienced or seen any of it personally, living in the warm, Baharat-scented embrace of one of Manchester's more diverse boroughs where cultural sensitivity is second nature). Kind of like how I feared getting anything on credit or even a credit check lest I ruined what I thought was a perfect credit score as a result, too many of Britain's ageing population allowed bad press, false promises and ignorance to fuel their mostly unfounded fears surrounding immigration, costing a young MP her life, many multicultural citizens their sense of security and the nation, its "allies" and economic power. I went out for drinks that black Friday but it was such a sad affair, I was tempted to trade in my go-to drink (apple juice with a splash of peppermint in the absence of a mocktail menu these days, if you were wondering, tres sophis) for something much, much stronger but refrained (because, lol).

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries
For the Leave voters I and people I know have spoken to, their reasons to leave the EU fell into three categories. One party celebrated this important first step in "making Britain great/sovereign again", getting out of from under the proverbial thumb of the EU. Ours was already an awkward situation to begin with, given that we drive on the left side of the road and still use the pound, so the claims that anything was being forced upon us is laughable from my layman perspective, not to mention false considering that's not quite how the Commission works. Another group simply feared falling victim to the adverse social impacts of the refugee crisis in other welcoming countries, a concern that a) has been exacerbated by biased news coverage and b) doesn't imply that the European immigrants who've exercised the free movement rights you've been tolerating since, what, the nineties will all suddenly decide to Purge us one day. Leaving probably won't stop the UK from being the third most welcoming nation to refugees in the world as of last month either but OK. The last group were just plain stupid, from the closet racists so blinded by hate they missed the part about the withdrawal process lasting two years and/or forgot that things like naturalisation, student/work visas and such will still exist regardless, to those who "voted to leave but didn't think it would actually happen" like they didn't quite understand how voting worked. These are the people such an important decision was left up to, essentially meaning the final result boiled down to marketing. And fear's easier to sell than logic, not that many needed much coaxing from what I hear. Self destruction to protect ourselves from our own warped imagination; the United Kingdom, everybody, let's have a round of applause.

It's not over until the fat lady sings, so they say, and this has been a wake-up call for many so there's a silver lining or two. But plenty damage has been done already and it'll remain long after the political dust settles. Looking ahead, the future is pretty bleak in my eyes. Once we leave, London could easily become its own sovereign state. Scotland then take another shot at leaving the UK to kneel at the feet of the EU. I say, why not just let Trump run the White House, America?* Politically speaking, both our countries have had major blonde combover moments this past year.

If we're going to fuck shit up, we should go all out. Give historians years from now something to really talk about.

I am now with-phone slowly reconnecting with the world (although my credit situation is still up in the air**). But instead of lamenting on social media and getting into arguments with strangers about something we can't really change, I plan on getting ahead of some of the direct post-ref impacts on my own day-to-day by indulging in my favourite Spanish retailer until the falling pound, future import tariffs and so on hike their prices up farther than I can reach. I find this is best done with friends visiting from all over between carb-loading sessions c/o the British food scene's extensive palette thanks to the many, many years of growing interculturalism we just spat in the face of.

Long live the Queen though, all my love to the Three Lions, more tea and scones and all that good stuff - lest someone think my black skin is synonymous with a lack of citizenship and throw some of the bullshit I've been reading about at me. There is a fine line between patriotism and terrorism, and I will only entertain one of them.

Seeing Red | Ses Rêveries




*Edited on November 9 2016: THIS WAS SARCASM. I WAS JOKING, GUYS, WTF?

**At this rate, I should've started saving up for my dream house and my unborn child's tuition when I was twelve. Once this is resolved, I'm totally taking out a credit card and using it in place of my debit card. I wouldn't technically be in debt, paying everything off at the end of the month, but it should do wonders for my credit score #thingsiwishmyparentstoldme.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Ses Rêveries | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig